All Media


Matches 351 to 400 of 420     » See Gallery

    «Prev «1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next»

 #   Thumb   Description   Info   Linked to 
351
The Flatiron or Gooderham Building
The Flatiron or Gooderham Building
The flatiron building AKA Gooderham building was built in 1891 by George Gooderham as offices for his expanding enterprises. It is situated at the corner of Church and Wellington Streets across from where the magnificent Bank of Toronto head office was located before that was demolished(now a Pizza Pizza joint). George commissioned David Roberts Jr., the son of the architect who had built the distillery to design it. Photograph by Harry Cartner, available by contacting Harry at hcartner@gmail.com
Owner of original: Harry Cartner
Date: 2020
 
352
The Gooderham Coat of Arms
The Gooderham Coat of Arms
See Featured Story 1912 The Gooderham Coat of Arms
 
353
The History of The King Edward Hotel Blog
The History of The King Edward Hotel Blog
May 11, 2013 marked the 110th anniversary of this magnificent hotel. George Gooderham was instrumental in financing the hotel. He wanted to anchor the downtown core as Toronto expanded west. This blog features some interesting history and stories about the hotel that is sure to be enjoyed. Categories include: architecture, artwork, celebrities, employees, history, hotel rooms & areas, postcards, stories

Owner of original: author not identified
 
354
The House Belongs to The Government by G.Kent Gooderham
The House Belongs to The Government by G.Kent Gooderham
During his lifetime, Kent Gooderham, wrote down many of the stories he had heard and researched about his Ezekiel ancestors. Now Kent's son, George, has brought them together into an extremely readable book about how his ancestors became Indian Agents for the Blackfoot tribe out west, and how Kent's father, George Hamilton Gooderham, walked between the two worlds of the Blackfoot out west as a country born son and the world of his privileged cousins, when he came east to be educated, and worked on the the family farms, mills, and ancillary enterprises here in Ontario.
Owner of original: George C.K. Gooderham
 
355
The Hunt Club Steeplechases
The Hunt Club Steeplechases
A description of the steeplechase in which "Mr. Gooderham's gritty horse galloped in winner of the trophy by 9 or ten lengths."
Owner of original: GG
Date: Dec 28 2018
 
356
The inspiring story of John G. FitzGerald, public health visionary and founder of Connaught Labs.
The inspiring story of John G. FitzGerald, public health visionary and founder of Connaught Labs.
In partnership with The University of Toronto, Dr. John FitzGerald founded the Connaught Laboratories in 1914, where he personally manufactured the first safe, effective, Canadian
 
357
The Kind Edward Hotel shuttle bus
The Kind Edward Hotel shuttle bus
 
358
The Massey murder : a maid, her master and the trial that shocked a country
by Gray, Charlotte, 1948-
Year/Format: 2013, Book, 352 pages
The Massey murder : a maid, her master and the trial that shocked a country by Gray, Charlotte, 1948- Year/Format: 2013, Book, 352 pages
A scandalous crime, a sensational trial, a surprise verdict--the true story of Carrie Davies, the maid who shot a Massey

In February 1915, a member of one of Canada's wealthiest families was shot and killed on the front porch of his home in Toronto as he was returning from work. Carrie Davies, an 18-year-old domestic servant, quickly confessed. But who was the victim here? Charles "Bert" Massey, a scion of a famous family, or the frightened, perhaps mentally unstable Carrie, a penniless British immigrant? While not a book about Gooderhams, the Massey's were contemporaries. This book gives a sense of Toronto in 1915 in the Annex, just up the street from the homes of many of William Gooderham's great grandchildren.
Owner of original: Toronto Public Library
 
359
The People's Boat: HMSC Oriole: Ship of a Thousand Dreams by  	
Shirley Hewett
The People's Boat: HMSC Oriole: Ship of a Thousand Dreams by Shirley Hewett
There may be no other sailing ship in North America that has touched the lives of so many people during 80-plus years of existence as HMCS Oriole. The design of famed MIT marine architect George Owen, the pride of original owner George Gooderham, commodore of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, the steadfast training ship of the Royal Canadian Navy for more than five decades, and ultimately "the people's boat" in her home harbours of Esquimalt and Victoria, BC, HMCS Oriole continues to add to her legacy with every new nautical adventure.

Her fascinating history is captured by author and avid mariner Shirley Hewett in a narrative based on extensive interviews with Oriole's past captains and crew. Hewett listened to their stories, shared their insights and sailed the New Zealand leg of a South Pacific good-will voyage in 1998 aboard the Oriole as part of an international crew. "She is a ship that manufactures dreams," Hewett said. "Mine became to tell her many stories."
 
360
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club in the early 1900s
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club in the early 1900s
 
361
The Royal Grenadiers by Captain Ernest J. Chambers
The Royal Grenadiers by Captain Ernest J. Chambers
A Regimental History of the 10th Infantry Regiment of the Active Militia of Canada includes descriptions of the North-west Rebellion and mentions or has photos of Albert Edward Gooderham on pp. 83, 89, 95, 111, 122 and includes ads mentioning George Gooderham (Albert's father) on pp. i, v, and x at the back.
Owner of original: Internet Archive
 
362
The Story of Florence Gooderham Hamilton Huestis
The Story of Florence Gooderham Hamilton Huestis
Florence, the adopted daughter of William Gooderham's son, Henry, was "driven by a strong desire to contribute her time and effort to improving the lot of those less fortunate than herself." In this essay, Kathy Southee writes that the spiritual values and sense of duty of William Gooderham was "modeled by members of his family over the next two generations". Her great grandmother Florence serves as an example.
Owner of original: Kathy Southee
Date: 17 Apr 2009
 
363
The Toronto Hunt CLub
The Toronto Hunt CLub
Description of a hunt near the Danforth returning to Todmorden Mills. Mr. John Leys, the commodore of the RCYC is said to be "as good a performer cross country as on the deck of his yacht."
Owner of original: GG
Date: 27 Dec 2018
 
364
The Victoria Room at the King Edward Hotel
The Victoria Room at the King Edward Hotel
George Gooderham, together with a consortium of investors, built the King Edward Hotel on King St, east of Yonge in Toronto. Rumour has it he intended to anchor the downtown to prevent it's spread further west.
 
365
The Windmill and Its Times
The Windmill and Its Times
This is a link to The Windmill and Its Times by E.B. Shuttleworth
Owner of original: Gay Gooderham
Date: 2014
 
366
The Windmill and its times : a series of articles dealing with the early days of the Windmill by Shuttleworth, Edward Buckingham.
The Windmill and its times : a series of articles dealing with the early days of the Windmill by Shuttleworth, Edward Buckingham.
Year/Format: 1924, Book , 146 p., [6] leaves of plates :
Publication information: Toronto : W.G. Gooderham, 1924 (Toronto : E.D. Apted)
Language: English
Format: Regular Print Book
General note: Some material drawn from old account books of Gooderham & Worts, owners of the Windmill.
Owner of original: Metro Toronto Reference Library
 
367
The Windmill by T. Young
The Windmill by T. Young
View showing windmill drawn by T Young 1835
Owner of original: unknown
Date: unknown
 
368
The York Club
The York Club
George Gooderham's house on Bloor at St. George was named by him as "Waveney", after the river where Scole (the family town in England) was situated. The local populace, however, called it "Alca Hall". It is now the York Club.

Editor's note: Why "Alca Hall?"
Owner of original: GG
 
369
The York Club
The York Club
 
370
The York Club A Centennial History by Mary Byers
The York Club A Centennial History by Mary Byers
Publication information: [Toronto] : York Club, c2009.
ISBN: 0981259006 (bound)
ISBN: 9780981259000 (bound)
Language: English
Record ID: 2679421
Format: Regular Print Book
Physical description: 217 p. : ill., ports. ; 29 cm.
Date acquired: December 2, 2010
More creator details: Mary Byers.
Contributor: York Club (Toronto, Ont.)
This book has a well written and illustrated first chapter about the arrival of the Gooderhams and Worts families and the start of the Distillery. Available directly from the York Club.
Owner of original: Gay Gooderham
 
371
Thomas Leys Geddes
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
Owner of original: Oliver Leys (Leys) Geddes
 
372
Toronto 1834 By Owen Staples
Toronto 1834 By Owen Staples
Owen Staples, also known as Owen Poe Staples (September 3, 1866 - December 6, 1949), was a Canadian painter, etcher, pastelist, political cartoonist, author, musician and naturalist. From 1888 to 1908, Staples worked for the Telegram as a staff artist, reporter and political cartoonist, and illustrator for the J. Ross Robertson Collection.
Owner of original: GG From the John Ross Robertson Collection, Toronto Metropolitan Library
 
373
Toronto Hunt History by Polly Winsor I
Toronto Hunt History by Polly Winsor I
Polly Winsor did quite a bit of research into the Toronto Hunt, and wrote two publications that resulted in quite brief mentions of our family. The first of those excerpts are presented here.
Owner of original: PW
Date: 2014
 
374
Toronto Island Connections by Sally Gibson
Toronto Island Connections by Sally Gibson
Article describing the connection between the Toronto Islands, G&W, family members and the RCYC. Today the close historical connection between the distillery and the Island is symbolized by the location of the RCYC city landing on the tip of the post-war extension of the Gooderham & Worts wharf at the foot of Parliament Street.
 
375
Toronto Symphony Orchestra 1931-1932
Toronto Symphony Orchestra 1931-1932
Sir Albert E. Gooderham was President from 1923-1931. He personally provided much-needed funds and in 1926 introduced corporate sponsorships
Owner of original: City of Toronto Archives Series 1569
 
376
Toronto's Distillery District: history by the lake
by Gibson, Sally, 1946-
Toronto's Distillery District: history by the lake by Gibson, Sally, 1946-
A new book by Toronto archivist and historian Sally Gibson explores the Distillery District
Owner of original: Toronto Public Library
 
377
Toronto, in the Summer of 1851 by Francis Hincks Granger (1827-1915).
Toronto, in the Summer of 1851 by Francis Hincks Granger (1827-1915).
Toronto, in the Summer of 1851
Francis Hincks Granger (1827-1915).
Watercolour. 43.2 cm x 137.2 cm.
TPL (TRL) Acc. JRR 341
Looking westward from Gooderham & Worts' mill on Trinity Street to Fort York on the far left. The artist, Francis Hincks Granger, was a scene painter for the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Toronto.
(1-3) Wharf and storehouse, mill and residence of William Gooderham. (4) Trinity Church, (5) St. Paul's Catholic Church, (6) & (7) Latham and Atherley houses, (8) Gaol, (9) the Fair Green, (10) C.C. Small house, (11) Dr. C. Widmer house, (12) Lamb's glue factory (1846), (13) 3 houses owned by Dr. Widmer, (14) Thomas Collier house, (15) Russell Abbey, (16) Toronto Gas Works, (17) John Snarr's steam saw & planing mill, (18) Cull's starch factory and shipyards, (19) St. Lawrence Hall, (20) Commercial Mills and Berst & Halliday's distillery, (21) Leak's soap works, (22) City Hall, (23) old Fish Market, (24) Wellington Hotel, (25) Coffin Block, (27) Maitland's Wharf, (28) Bank of Montreal, (29) Brown's & Yonge Street Wharves, (30) Yonge Street, (31) Tinning's Wharf, (32) Queen's Wharf, (33) old Fort York.
 
378
Tunnel entrance and beginning under the King Edward Hotel
Tunnel entrance and beginning under the King Edward Hotel
Although the tunnel was never completed it is true that the beginnings of a tunnel was dug from the king Eddie towards Union station.
 
379
Victoria College in 1900
Victoria College in 1900
Victoria College’s move from Cobourg to Toronto was controversial and it was all because of a conditional legacy left by William Gooderham Jr in 1889.
 
380
Victoria College in Cobourg in 1890
Victoria College in Cobourg in 1890
Victoria College’s move from Cobourg to Toronto was controversial and it was all because of a conditional legacy left by William Gooderham Jr in 1889.
 
381
Victoria Gooderham in 1864
Victoria Gooderham in 1864
 
382
Victoria Skating Rink, Toronto
Victoria Skating Rink, Toronto
At this skating rink, located in Allan Gardens, Alice Worts won the first skating competition in Toronto in 1863
 
383
View of Pine Lake, Gooderham, Ontario
View of Pine Lake, Gooderham, Ontario
Owner of original: GG
 
384
Walter Gooderham (Son of Ezekiel and Harriet) Headstone
Walter Gooderham (Son of Ezekiel and Harriet) Headstone
Rev Mitchel headstone is in the background.

Reverend Ezekiel Gooderham

It is not known if Ezekiel took any part in the milling business - he may have if only for a short time. However he did settle on a farm at Wexford, Ontario, which is now part of the borough of Scarborough in Toronto.

A few years after arrival in Canada, Ezekiel and Harriet became members of York mills Baptist Church, and Ezekiel served as Deacon for some years. In 1849, when the pastor Rev. James Mitchell died, Ezekiel took his place and served as pastor. Due to the urgent appeals of ministers and members who knew him, he consented to be ordained when he was nearing his 60th year. The ordination took place in Bond St. Baptist Church, Toronto. He served the York mills Baptist Church as Pastor for 15 years, resigning at last because of ill health.

Many spoke with great tenderness of his worth and work. He died on December 28, 1870, at his residence, Mill Street Toronto, and on December 31 was buried at York Mills Baptist Cemetery. A son Walter who died at the age of 21 and his wife Harriet, are also buried there.

When the York Mills Church held its 100th anniversary in 1929 there were still descendants of Ezekiel and Harriet Gooderham attending the church. Since then the church and parsonage have been torn down to make way for housing, but the cemetery on York Mills Rd. is still there and is being cared for by the Union of Baptist Churches.

Provided By Mary Louise Gooderham-Sutton 1991
Owner of original: George C. K. Gooderham
Date: Summer 2013
 
385
Wedding Announcement Mary Anna Kentner and George Hamilton Gooderham
Wedding Announcement Mary Anna Kentner and George Hamilton Gooderham
Owner of original: George C. K. Gooderham
Date: 1920
 
386
WH Beatty sm.jpg
WH Beatty sm.jpg
Owner of original: Douglas Worts
 
387
Who is gathered here?
Who is gathered here?
At the last family reunion this photo was circulated and no one was able to identify the people in it. Can you?
Owner of original: unknown
Date: unknown
 
388
William and his sons.jpg
William and his sons.jpg
 
389
William Ezekiel and family
William Ezekiel and family
This picture was taken at their home in Meadowvale, 1958
Celebrating Williams 90th birthday, from left Kay, Mary 'Mae', William and Louise.
Owner of original: Helen Younder
Date: 1958
 
390
William Ezekiel Gooderham
William Ezekiel Gooderham
Youngest son of George & Catherine Gooderham. He was born 33 years after his Grandfather and Grandmother (Ezekiel and Harriet) emigrated to York County (Toronto)Canada. He was 4 years old when the family moved to the Village of Meadowvale where his father managed the Gooderham & Worts family farm.
 
391
William Ezekiel Gooderham
William Ezekiel Gooderham
Owner of original: George C. K. Gooderham
 
392
William Ezekiel Gooderham and May out for a Sleigh Ride 1940
William Ezekiel Gooderham and May out for a Sleigh Ride 1940
Mr. Gooderham's family always had roast goose for Christmas dinner and he remembers the huge plum pudding his mother (Catherine) made - lots of suet and big raisins boiled in a cloth in a big iron pot.

Mr. Gooderham and his brother hung their stockings behind the wood burning stove in the dining-room on Christmas Eve. They got up before dawn and took the filled stockings upstairs and ate the contents in bed in the dark - nuts, raisins, candy and an orange. One Christmas, they got fur caps for presents and Mr. Gooderham's cap fell off the hook and the new puppy chewed a hole in it.

After Christmas dinner everyone went skating on the pond. There was always a shinny match between Churchville and Meadowvale. The boys skated down the river from Churchville. They made the shinny sticks out of little maple trees, the root of the saplings shaped the end of the stick. At night, they set fires to big pine stumps on the pond. Skates were wooden and were fastened to the boots with a screw in the heel and with straps.

During Christmas week, cousins used to drive down from Terra Cotta in a horse drawn sleigh. New Year's Eve, the Meadowvale Band went around the village playing the old Year out and the new Year in.

Interview with Mr. W. Gooderham, 1958. From "A Glimpse of Christmas Past: by Doris McPherson


Owner of original: Region of Peel Archives
Date: 1940
Place: Meadowvale Village, Ontario
 
393
William George Gooderham
William George Gooderham
 
394
William George Gooderham house in Rosedale
William George Gooderham house in Rosedale
 
395
William George Gooderham portrait by John Vincent
William George Gooderham portrait by John Vincent
Which was presented in 1926 by the Old Boys Association of UCC to W.G. and which hangs at UCC. Apparently the portrait was sliced in half during renovations at UCC but appears top have been restored!
 
396
William George Gooderham President of Canada Permanent
William George Gooderham President of Canada Permanent
 
397
William George Gooderham waiting for first train to pass
William George Gooderham waiting for first train to pass
 
398
William George Gooderham's hat
William George Gooderham's hat
 
399
William George Gooderham's Toronto Island home
William George Gooderham's Toronto Island home
254 Lakeshore Rd. Centre Island
 
400
William George Gooderhams burial plot
William George Gooderhams burial plot
 

    «Prev «1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next»