What's New (past 30 days)


Photos

 Thumb   Description   Linked to   Last Modified 
Sample of a handwritten journal from the 1830's
Sample of a handwritten journal from the 1830's
Figure illustrating a handwritten journal excerpted from David Thompson’s notebooks and journals, Reference Code: F 443-1, Archives of Ontario 
  20 Sep 2020
Maps showing Scole, Bungay and Yarmouth in Britain
Maps showing Scole, Bungay and Yarmouth in Britain
Gooderhams came from Scole Suffolk and Worts from nearby Bungay in Norfolk. They left Britain from the Port of Yarmouth 
  18 Sep 2020

Family Stories

 Thumb   Description   Linked to   Last Modified 
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
  21 Sep 2020
1831 <strong>The Adventure Begins</strong>
1831 The Adventure Begins
By Douglas Worts
The motivating origins for the move to Canada and the family partnership. 
  18 Sep 2020
 866 <strong>History of the Family Name</strong>
866 History of the Family Name
Excerpt from "The House Belongs To The Government" by G. Kent Gooderham
published by George C.K. Gooderham
 
  18 Sep 2020
1802 <strong>William Gooderham’s Early Years in England</strong>
1802 William Gooderham’s Early Years in England
William's youth until emigrating from England. Describes his army career with the Royal York Rangers including his work as a remittance man, apparently the source of his wealth. 
  18 Sep 2020
1834 <strong>This is a Yankee Place</strong>
1834 This is a Yankee Place
A story about selling wheat to the Gooderham Mill.

Excerpt from Landmarks of Toronto
by John Ross Robertson
Publication date 1894-1914  
  18 Sep 2020
1837 <strong> Mr. Cawthra's Bags of Gold</strong>
1837 Mr. Cawthra's Bags of Gold
According to Louisa Gooderham Walker Score, during the rebellion, the mill was used to store articles of value and “Mr. Cawthra’s bags of gold” 
  18 Sep 2020
1844 <strong> The First Babies Christened in Little Trinity Church</strong>
1844 The First Babies Christened in Little Trinity Church
Little Trinity Church was supported by members of the Gooderham and Worts families from its earliest days and contributed heavily to both World Wars. 
  18 Sep 2020
1846 <strong>Twenty-Nine Children in William and Harriet Gooderham’s Care</strong>
1846 Twenty-Nine Children in William and Harriet Gooderham’s Care
After tragedy struck the Worts family, William and Harriet Gooderham had 29 children under their roof 
  18 Sep 2020
1854 Letters to William Henry Beatty from his father James Beatty (father-in-law of Charlotte Louisa (Worts) Beatty)
1854 Letters to William Henry Beatty from his father James Beatty (father-in-law of Charlotte Louisa (Worts) Beatty)
Now and then we are lucky enough to stumble on a detailed account that a settler has left for posterity. James Beatty, the father of William Henry Beatty and the father-in-law of Charlotte Louisa (Worts) Beatty, left just such an account. Written in September, 1854, the account takes the form of a series of letters written to his son William Henry...describing his very eventful and difficult life. 
  18 Sep 2020
1864 A Run on the Bank of Toronto
1864 A Run on the Bank of Toronto
A Story by J.W. L. Forster, a painter who painted William Gooderham Sr and Jr and William George Gooderham. The story is based on a tale told by William Sr as he sat for the portrait. 
  18 Sep 2020
1868 The Fence around Osgoode Hall
1868 The Fence around Osgoode Hall
Osgoode Hall is surrounded by an intricate iron fence that runs the length of Queen Street. In 1868 the ornate fence was completed. It was built by William Gooderham's son, Henry's father-in-law, William Hamilton. 
  18 Sep 2020
1869 Great Fire of ‘69
1869 Great Fire of ‘69
At six o’clock on Tuesday, October 26, 1869 – just as William Gooderham and his family were sitting down for dinner (or “tea”) – a small cask of benzene caught fire and exploded in the fermenting cellar of his 1860 Stone Distillery, precipitating a night of high drama by the Lake.

Sally Gibson, The Distillery Archivist tells this tale... 
  18 Sep 2020
1873 How the Town of Gooderham Got its Name
1873 How the Town of Gooderham Got its Name
If you celebrated the way the fine citizens of Gooderham, Ontario did (or so the story goes) perhaps you too would want to rename your home town after the source of your merry making. Or did that really happen?  
  18 Sep 2020
1879 A Sad Railway Accident
1879 A Sad Railway Accident
A sad railway accident occurred near Toronto resulting in the death of James Gooderham, son of William Gooderham.  
  18 Sep 2020
1880 Tons of Cow Poop
1880 Tons of Cow Poop
Gooderham began fattening cattle and hogs in the late 1830s, and by 1841 he had established a large dairy on a nine acre site between Trinity and Cherry Streets, across from the mill. 
  18 Sep 2020
1915 Sir Albert E. Gooderham was instrumental in creating Connaught Labs
1915 Sir Albert E. Gooderham was instrumental in creating Connaught Labs
In early 1915, Gooderham pledged funds to upgrade the original Antitoxin Laboratory and then acquired a large abandoned farm property north of the city. He proceeded to equip it with new buildings (buildings #3 and #4) that also enabled smallpox vaccine production, and pledged to donate it all to the university. 
  18 Sep 2020
1922 Sir Albert Gooderham’s Contribution to the Insulin Story
1922 Sir Albert Gooderham’s Contribution to the Insulin Story
Banting, Best, and Macleod each had their own understandings of the contributions leading to the discovery of insulin. Colonel Albert Gooderham, prominent member of the Board of Governors, patron of the Connaught Laboratories, and chairman of the Insulin Committee, sought to sort it out. 
  18 Sep 2020