Photos


Matches 251 to 300 of 309     » See Gallery    » Slide Show

    «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next»

 #   Thumb   Description   Info   Linked to 
251
Ten dollar bill from Bank of Toronto 1923
Ten dollar bill from Bank of Toronto 1923
Owner of original: GG
 
252
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
 
253
the Bank of Toronto
the Bank of Toronto
Located at 58 Wellington St E. (or 68 or 70 Church St. depending on the date) at the N.W. corner of Church St, and Wellington and Front St. Sadly, torn down and replaced with a Pizza Pizza.
 
254
The Flatiron or Gooderham Building
The Flatiron or Gooderham Building
The flatiron building AKA Gooderham building was built in 1891 by George Gooderham as offices for his expanding enterprises. It is situated at the corner of Church and Wellington Streets across from where the magnificent Bank of Toronto head office was located before that was demolished(now a Pizza Pizza joint). George commissioned David Roberts Jr., the son of the architect who had built the distillery to design it. Photograph by Harry Cartner, available by contacting Harry at hcartner@gmail.com
Owner of original: Harry Cartner
Date: 2020
 
255
The Gooderham Coat of Arms
The Gooderham Coat of Arms
See Featured Story 1912 The Gooderham Coat of Arms
 
256
The House Belongs to The Government by G.Kent Gooderham
The House Belongs to The Government by G.Kent Gooderham
During his lifetime, Kent Gooderham, wrote down many of the stories he had heard and researched about his Ezekiel ancestors. Now Kent's son, George, has brought them together into an extremely readable book about how his ancestors became Indian Agents for the Blackfoot tribe out west, and how Kent's father, George Hamilton Gooderham, walked between the two worlds of the Blackfoot out west as a country born son and the world of his privileged cousins, when he came east to be educated, and worked on the the family farms, mills, and ancillary enterprises here in Ontario.
Owner of original: George C.K. Gooderham
 
257
The Kind Edward Hotel shuttle bus
The Kind Edward Hotel shuttle bus
 
258
The Massey murder : a maid, her master and the trial that shocked a country
by Gray, Charlotte, 1948-
Year/Format: 2013, Book, 352 pages
The Massey murder : a maid, her master and the trial that shocked a country by Gray, Charlotte, 1948- Year/Format: 2013, Book, 352 pages
A scandalous crime, a sensational trial, a surprise verdict--the true story of Carrie Davies, the maid who shot a Massey

In February 1915, a member of one of Canada's wealthiest families was shot and killed on the front porch of his home in Toronto as he was returning from work. Carrie Davies, an 18-year-old domestic servant, quickly confessed. But who was the victim here? Charles "Bert" Massey, a scion of a famous family, or the frightened, perhaps mentally unstable Carrie, a penniless British immigrant? While not a book about Gooderhams, the Massey's were contemporaries. This book gives a sense of Toronto in 1915 in the Annex, just up the street from the homes of many of William Gooderham's great grandchildren.
Owner of original: Toronto Public Library
 
259
The People's Boat: HMSC Oriole: Ship of a Thousand Dreams by  	
Shirley Hewett
The People's Boat: HMSC Oriole: Ship of a Thousand Dreams by Shirley Hewett
There may be no other sailing ship in North America that has touched the lives of so many people during 80-plus years of existence as HMCS Oriole. The design of famed MIT marine architect George Owen, the pride of original owner George Gooderham, commodore of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, the steadfast training ship of the Royal Canadian Navy for more than five decades, and ultimately "the people's boat" in her home harbours of Esquimalt and Victoria, BC, HMCS Oriole continues to add to her legacy with every new nautical adventure.

Her fascinating history is captured by author and avid mariner Shirley Hewett in a narrative based on extensive interviews with Oriole's past captains and crew. Hewett listened to their stories, shared their insights and sailed the New Zealand leg of a South Pacific good-will voyage in 1998 aboard the Oriole as part of an international crew. "She is a ship that manufactures dreams," Hewett said. "Mine became to tell her many stories."
 
260
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club in the early 1900s
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club in the early 1900s
 
261
The Victoria Room at the King Edward Hotel
The Victoria Room at the King Edward Hotel
George Gooderham, together with a consortium of investors, built the King Edward Hotel on King St, east of Yonge in Toronto. Rumour has it he intended to anchor the downtown to prevent it's spread further west.
 
262
The Windmill and its times : a series of articles dealing with the early days of the Windmill by Shuttleworth, Edward Buckingham.
The Windmill and its times : a series of articles dealing with the early days of the Windmill by Shuttleworth, Edward Buckingham.
Year/Format: 1924, Book , 146 p., [6] leaves of plates :
Publication information: Toronto : W.G. Gooderham, 1924 (Toronto : E.D. Apted)
Language: English
Format: Regular Print Book
General note: Some material drawn from old account books of Gooderham & Worts, owners of the Windmill.
Owner of original: Metro Toronto Reference Library
 
263
The Windmill by T. Young
The Windmill by T. Young
View showing windmill drawn by T Young 1835
Owner of original: unknown
Date: unknown
 
264
The York Club
The York Club
George Gooderham's house on Bloor at St. George was named by him as "Waveney", after the river where Scole (the family town in England) was situated. The local populace, however, called it "Alca Hall". It is now the York Club.

Editor's note: Why "Alca Hall?"
Owner of original: GG
 
265
The York Club
The York Club
 
266
The York Club A Centennial History by Mary Byers
The York Club A Centennial History by Mary Byers
Publication information: [Toronto] : York Club, c2009.
ISBN: 0981259006 (bound)
ISBN: 9780981259000 (bound)
Language: English
Record ID: 2679421
Format: Regular Print Book
Physical description: 217 p. : ill., ports. ; 29 cm.
Date acquired: December 2, 2010
More creator details: Mary Byers.
Contributor: York Club (Toronto, Ont.)
This book has a well written and illustrated first chapter about the arrival of the Gooderhams and Worts families and the start of the Distillery. Available directly from the York Club.
Owner of original: Gay Gooderham
 
267
Thomas Leys Geddes
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
Owner of original: Oliver Leys (Leys) Geddes
 
268
Toronto 1834 By Owen Staples
Toronto 1834 By Owen Staples
Owen Staples, also known as Owen Poe Staples (September 3, 1866 - December 6, 1949), was a Canadian painter, etcher, pastelist, political cartoonist, author, musician and naturalist. From 1888 to 1908, Staples worked for the Telegram as a staff artist, reporter and political cartoonist, and illustrator for the J. Ross Robertson Collection.
Owner of original: GG From the John Ross Robertson Collection, Toronto Metropolitan Library
 
269
Toronto Symphony Orchestra 1931-1932
Toronto Symphony Orchestra 1931-1932
Sir Albert E. Gooderham was President from 1923-1931. He personally provided much-needed funds and in 1926 introduced corporate sponsorships
Owner of original: City of Toronto Archives Series 1569
 
270
Toronto's Distillery District: history by the lake
by Gibson, Sally, 1946-
Toronto's Distillery District: history by the lake by Gibson, Sally, 1946-
A new book by Toronto archivist and historian Sally Gibson explores the Distillery District
Owner of original: Toronto Public Library
 
271
Toronto, in the Summer of 1851 by Francis Hincks Granger (1827-1915).
Toronto, in the Summer of 1851 by Francis Hincks Granger (1827-1915).
Toronto, in the Summer of 1851
Francis Hincks Granger (1827-1915).
Watercolour. 43.2 cm x 137.2 cm.
TPL (TRL) Acc. JRR 341
Looking westward from Gooderham & Worts' mill on Trinity Street to Fort York on the far left. The artist, Francis Hincks Granger, was a scene painter for the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Toronto.
(1-3) Wharf and storehouse, mill and residence of William Gooderham. (4) Trinity Church, (5) St. Paul's Catholic Church, (6) & (7) Latham and Atherley houses, (8) Gaol, (9) the Fair Green, (10) C.C. Small house, (11) Dr. C. Widmer house, (12) Lamb's glue factory (1846), (13) 3 houses owned by Dr. Widmer, (14) Thomas Collier house, (15) Russell Abbey, (16) Toronto Gas Works, (17) John Snarr's steam saw & planing mill, (18) Cull's starch factory and shipyards, (19) St. Lawrence Hall, (20) Commercial Mills and Berst & Halliday's distillery, (21) Leak's soap works, (22) City Hall, (23) old Fish Market, (24) Wellington Hotel, (25) Coffin Block, (27) Maitland's Wharf, (28) Bank of Montreal, (29) Brown's & Yonge Street Wharves, (30) Yonge Street, (31) Tinning's Wharf, (32) Queen's Wharf, (33) old Fort York.
 
272
Tunnel entrance and beginning under the King Edward Hotel
Tunnel entrance and beginning under the King Edward Hotel
Although the tunnel was never completed it is true that the beginnings of a tunnel was dug from the king Eddie towards Union station.
 
273
Victoria College in 1900
Victoria College in 1900
Victoria College’s move from Cobourg to Toronto was controversial and it was all because of a conditional legacy left by William Gooderham Jr in 1889.
 
274
Victoria College in Cobourg in 1890
Victoria College in Cobourg in 1890
Victoria College’s move from Cobourg to Toronto was controversial and it was all because of a conditional legacy left by William Gooderham Jr in 1889.
 
275
Victoria Gooderham in 1864
Victoria Gooderham in 1864
 
276
Victoria Skating Rink, Toronto
Victoria Skating Rink, Toronto
At this skating rink, located in Allan Gardens, Alice Worts won the first skating competition in Toronto in 1863
 
277
View of Pine Lake, Gooderham, Ontario
View of Pine Lake, Gooderham, Ontario
Owner of original: GG
 
278
Wedding Announcement Mary Anna Kentner and George Hamilton Gooderham
Wedding Announcement Mary Anna Kentner and George Hamilton Gooderham
Owner of original: George C. K. Gooderham
Date: 1920
 
279
WH Beatty sm.jpg
WH Beatty sm.jpg
Owner of original: Douglas Worts
 
280
Who is gathered here?
Who is gathered here?
At the last family reunion this photo was circulated and no one was able to identify the people in it. Can you?
Owner of original: unknown
Date: unknown
 
281
William and his sons.jpg
William and his sons.jpg
 
282
William Ezekiel and family
William Ezekiel and family
This picture was taken at their home in Meadowvale, 1958
Celebrating Williams 90th birthday, from left Kay, Mary 'Mae', William and Louise.
Owner of original: Helen Younder
Date: 1958
 
283
William Ezekiel Gooderham
William Ezekiel Gooderham
Youngest son of George & Catherine Gooderham. He was born 33 years after his Grandfather and Grandmother (Ezekiel and Harriet) emigrated to York County (Toronto)Canada. He was 4 years old when the family moved to the Village of Meadowvale where his father managed the Gooderham & Worts family farm.
 
284
William Ezekiel Gooderham
William Ezekiel Gooderham
Owner of original: George C. K. Gooderham
 
285
William Ezekiel Gooderham and May out for a Sleigh Ride 1940
William Ezekiel Gooderham and May out for a Sleigh Ride 1940
Mr. Gooderham's family always had roast goose for Christmas dinner and he remembers the huge plum pudding his mother (Catherine) made - lots of suet and big raisins boiled in a cloth in a big iron pot.

Mr. Gooderham and his brother hung their stockings behind the wood burning stove in the dining-room on Christmas Eve. They got up before dawn and took the filled stockings upstairs and ate the contents in bed in the dark - nuts, raisins, candy and an orange. One Christmas, they got fur caps for presents and Mr. Gooderham's cap fell off the hook and the new puppy chewed a hole in it.

After Christmas dinner everyone went skating on the pond. There was always a shinny match between Churchville and Meadowvale. The boys skated down the river from Churchville. They made the shinny sticks out of little maple trees, the root of the saplings shaped the end of the stick. At night, they set fires to big pine stumps on the pond. Skates were wooden and were fastened to the boots with a screw in the heel and with straps.

During Christmas week, cousins used to drive down from Terra Cotta in a horse drawn sleigh. New Year's Eve, the Meadowvale Band went around the village playing the old Year out and the new Year in.

Interview with Mr. W. Gooderham, 1958. From "A Glimpse of Christmas Past: by Doris McPherson


Owner of original: Region of Peel Archives
Date: 1940
Place: Meadowvale Village, Ontario
 
286
William George Gooderham
William George Gooderham
 
287
William George Gooderham house in Rosedale
William George Gooderham house in Rosedale
 
288
William George Gooderham portrait by John Vincent
William George Gooderham portrait by John Vincent
Which was presented in 1926 by the Old Boys Association of UCC to W.G. and which hangs at UCC. Apparently the portrait was sliced in half during renovations at UCC but appears top have been restored!
 
289
William George Gooderham President of Canada Permanent
William George Gooderham President of Canada Permanent
 
290
William George Gooderham waiting for first train to pass
William George Gooderham waiting for first train to pass
 
291
William George Gooderham's hat
William George Gooderham's hat
 
292
William George Gooderham's Toronto Island home
William George Gooderham's Toronto Island home
254 Lakeshore Rd. Centre Island
 
293
William George Gooderhams burial plot
William George Gooderhams burial plot
 
294
William George Gooderhams house on Sherbourne
William George Gooderhams house on Sherbourne
 
295
William Gooderham
William Gooderham
This is an unsigned oil portrait which appears to be William Gooderham.
William Gooderham was born in 1790 in Scole,Norfolk, England and emigrated to York (now Toronto, Canada) in 1832.
Owner of original: E. Andrew Gooderham
Date: From the estate of John Henry Gooderham.
 
296
William Gooderham
William Gooderham
William Gooderham was born in 1790 in Scole,Norfolk, England and emigrated to York (now Toronto, Canada) in 1832.
Owner of original: unknown
Date: unknown
 
297
William Gooderham (1790 - 1881) and his sons
William Gooderham (1790 - 1881) and his sons
A photo of William Gooderham (1790 - 1881) and his sons:
back L. to R.):
Henry, Robert, Charles Horace, Alfred,
front L. to R.)
James, William Sr., George, William Jr.
Owner of original: unknown
Date: unknown
 
298
William Gooderham jr.
William Gooderham jr.
William was actively involved in the Salvation Army among other varied philanthropic efforts. This photo of William Gooderham Jr. is inscribed on the back "Sunday Singing".
Owner of original: Toronto Archives
 
299
William Gooderham, Rector's Warden, Little Trinity Church
William Gooderham, Rector's Warden, Little Trinity Church
 
300
William H Beatty
William H Beatty
WH Beatty was a solicitor for the Gooderham and Worts firm during the mid to late 19th century. He married Charlotte Louisa Worts, the eldest daughter of James Gooderham Worts. As part of the family and also a very influential lawyer, he became invaluable to both JG Worts and Wm Gooderham. Beatty, his wife and their children lived at their residence, called The Oaks, which was located on Queens Park Cres.
Owner of original: Douglas Worts
 

    «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next»