“In 1837, a year of surplus grain harvests, William Gooderham added a distillery and produced his first whiskey. As production expanded, so did the company’s wastes. Initially, Gooderham sold the spent grain wash from the distilling process as feed to area farmers. Recognizing the revenue to be gained by recycling these by-products, Gooderham began fattening cattle and hogs in the late 1830s, and by 1841 he had established a large dairy on a nine acre site between Trinity and Cherry Streets, across from the mill.
The distillery’s main concentration of wastes, then, became not grain residue, but hog and cattle manure. The company’s practice of draining these wastes into the adjacent marshlands of Ashbridge’s Bay, at the mouth of the Don, would become the subject of decades of wrangling with the city government and local residents in the 1880s and 90s
By 1871, the Gooderham and Worts Distillery produced almost half of Ontario’s total spirits and exported whiskey and spirits to markets across Canada, the United States and South America.
Cattle operations also expanded: relocated to vacant land east of the river and south of the GTR line in 1866, by 1880 the Company’s seven cattle sheds could accommodate over four thousand cows. Ingenious in their efficiency, company owners constructed a pipeline alongside the railway track to convey the grain swill from their Trinity Street distillery to the cattle sheds east of the river.”
Excerpt written by Jennifer Bonnell published online by the Don Valley Historical Mapping Project and the University of Toronto Map and Data Library https://maps.library.utoronto.ca/dvhmp/gooderham-dis.html
Excerpt from Tracing the Social and Environmental History of the Don River, Bonnell, J. (2008). Changing Urban Waterfronts' Seminar Series. Presented at the City of Toronto Archives on April 7, 2008
1880 Tons of Cow Poop
Gooderham began fattening cattle and hogs in the late 1830s, and by 1841 he had established a large dairy on a nine acre site between Trinity and Cherry Streets, across from the mill.
|Owner of original
|https://maps.library.utoronto.ca/dvhmp/gooderham-dis.html and Tracing the Social and Environmental History of the Don River, Bonnell, J. (2008)