Royal Canadian Yacht Club (RCYC)
by Snider, C. H. J. (Charles Henry Jeremiah), 1879-1971.
Royal Canadian Yacht Club--History.
Publication information: Toronto : Rous & Mann, 1937-
Format: Regular Print Book
More creator details: compiled by C.H.J. Snider.
Contents note: [v. 1.] 1852-1937
|George Gooderham, son of William|
George was an avid sailor and Commodore of the RCYC
|George Horace Gooderham and Prince Edward|
Prince Edward visited the RCYC when George Horace Gooderham was Commodore.
possibly docked at RCYC
|Painting of Oriole by A.G. MacKinnon|
A sailing ship belonging to George Gooderham and sailed from the RCYC
|On the Steps of the RCYC 1912|
|George Horace Gooderham and the Prince of Wales at the RCYC 1918|
|Several cottages belonging to Gooderham's, Blackstock's, Brouse's and Beatty's were located south of the RCYC on Toronto Island including 238 Lakeshore|
238 Lakeshore Ave on Toronto Island was inherited by William George Gooderham from his father (1914 to 1918)
|Goad's map showing location of his own Toronto island property Floreat near George Gooderham's cottage|
Charles E. Goad, father of the historically vital Canadian fire atlases, also established himself on Toronto Island. His lovely stick-style cottage – Floreat – was located on the edge of Ward’s Pond, between the Gooderhams on Lakeshore Avenue, and the RCYC overlooking the Bay (see green circle on 1890 plan).
|RCYC landing at the end of the old G&W wharf|
|First RCYC and George Gooderham's "cottage"|
|Portrait of George Gooderham|
This portrait of George Gooderham, son of William, is by Robert Harris, abt 1888 and is part of the RCYC collection
|Photograph of Aileen, 1891 by Geo. Orr|
This beautiful yacht was owned by William George Gooderham I.
|George Gooderham and his beloved Oriole|
The first of a long and illustrious line, Oriole was built for a syndicate that included William (later Sir William) Mulock and was acquired in 1880 by Mr. George Gooderham. Four generations of Gooderhams sailed Oriole's I through IV. Oriole IV (now HMCS Oriole)is still actively adding to her laurels with Canada’s Navy.
|The People's Boat: HMSC Oriole: Ship of a Thousand Dreams by
There may be no other sailing ship in North America that has touched the lives of so many people during 80-plus years of existence as HMCS Oriole. The design of famed MIT marine architect George Owen, the pride of original owner George Gooderham, commodore of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, the steadfast training ship of the Royal Canadian Navy for more than five decades, and ultimately "the people's boat" in her home harbours of Esquimalt and Victoria, BC, HMCS Oriole continues to add to her legacy with every new nautical adventure.
Her fascinating history is captured by author and avid mariner Shirley Hewett in a narrative based on extensive interviews with Oriole's past captains and crew. Hewett listened to their stories, shared their insights and sailed the New Zealand leg of a South Pacific good-will voyage in 1998 aboard the Oriole as part of an international crew. "She is a ship that manufactures dreams," Hewett said. "Mine became to tell her many stories."
|The Royal Canadian Yacht Club in the early 1900s|
|Documents||Toronto Island Connections by Sally Gibson|
Article describing the connection between the Toronto Islands, G&W, family members and the RCYC. Today the close historical connection between the distillery and the Island is symbolized by the location of the RCYC city landing on the tip of the post-war extension of the Gooderham & Worts wharf at the foot of Parliament Street.
|Kwasind newsletter about return of Oriole sailing ship to RCYC|
The first Oriole was launched in 1871 and thus began a long and illustrious line of Gooderham flagships. The sketch, Oriole IV (now HCMS Oriole)began her career in 1921, built and launched for Commodore George Horace Gooderham...
|Presentation of a "saluting" gun to the Oriole|
1881 article about a saluting gun presented by James G. Worts, to the Oriole, owned then by John Leys, Vice-Commodore of the RCYC.
|Family Stories||1881 Toronto Island Connections|
By the 1880s, the successful distillers appeared to have more leisure time to enjoy. Although founding partner William Gooderham, who died in 1881, does not appear to have been a yachtsman, his sons and descendants ranked among some of the keenest and most successful of Toronto’s sailors.
|1885 The race across the lake in a terrible storm to stop the fire|
In 1885, the Oriole was in Niagara with her owner, George Gooderham aboard when the Esplanade fire threatened the Gooderham family distillery and elevator. The flames were visible across the lake and Oriole dashed for home, driven by an easterly gale. In mid-lake, she opened up and barely made the north shore, never to sail again as George ordered her career brought to an honourable close.
|1919 George Horace Gooderham entertains Prince Edward at the RCYC|
At the RCYC ball held to honour Prince Edward, His Royal Highness was no where to be found...until he was spotted on Commodore Gooderham's schooner, the Oriole, surrounded by hundreds of well wishers in their canoes.
No results found.